Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Paper Stacking

Challenge: Create two stacked paper forms. The first is observed from life. The second is your own design.
Materials Used: paper, wood glue, scissors. Ink used for the second piece.
#1 - Observe From Life. Use your eyes and your hands to understand shape and line. My subject in this case was a small pumpkin from the church during Halloween season.

#2 - Your Own Design. Using the same materials and the process of paper stacking as for the fruit/vegetable, create your own form.

My first idea that came to mind was the idea of fluidity. I wanted to create a smooth and flowing motion with the stark contrast of the flat paper. I cut out squares and then cut a shape inside of them. Aligning the inside of the shape i created a unified yet uneven block of stacked paper. Using the remaining shapes, I created a curvature and bent them around my preexisting structure. My form is an abstract representation of water, or water falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment