Friday, September 7, 2012

Expressive 3D Forms

Challenge: Using only the materials listed below, make four, small scale sculptures. The content and meaning of each form will reflect your interpretation from the following list (select four words - one for each sculpture): calm, sad, hopeful, angry, ambiguous, determined, old, dubious, chaotic, stoic, voyeurism, memorial, dangerous. Avoid conventions and symbols. Do not use text. Utilize both the interior and exterior of each form. Each form should fit in your hand. You do not have to use all materials for each form.
Dubious: I created a piece that I wanted to look as though all the pieces were only slightly held together, creating a sense of instability with severe angles and pieces jetting out from the center.
Voyeurism: The first thing that came to mind when I read the definition was a menacing nosy neighbor peeking through windows that he knows he shouldn't. I created the "curtains" with masking tape, and created "windows" with clear packing tape. The box it representational of a house or of someone's room.
Calm: When I think of calm, I think of rain or the calming notion of water falls or soft gentle waves. I created a small flat structure with ripples in it to resemble the essence of a calm lake with water droplets.
Ambiguous: This sculpture was supposed to be a piece for another word I chose, but I couldn't accomplish my original idea. Without planning, I soon found myself far from the original concept I wanted and ended up with this new from that I unexpectedly was rather fond of, hence the ambiguity of it.
Work in Progress:

No comments:

Post a Comment